Provence Lavender Photography Tour
Provence Lavender Photography Tour
Quiet hilltop villages in the high lavender region of Provence are waiting for you and your lens.
From Medieval architecture, to croissants & café and the rolling lavender fields leading to a hilltop village, you will engage in a sensory experience each day. This is your opportunity to rediscover (discover) your creative talent in one of the most inspiring lands in the world.
Enjoy the high region of Provence combining Mediterranean flavors with a pre-alpine influence while the lavender is in bloom. This backcountry of Provence is a hidden gem offering spectacular views of rolling hills of lavender and authentic villages nestled up high in the sky.
5 night, 6 day tour
Tuesday, July 13th - Sunday, July 18th, 2021
Small Group Tour - 6 spots only
All inclusive package price
3,700 USD per person (single room price)
Charming B&B picked for you
5 nights at La Maison de Marguerite in Montbrun-les-Bains
Tell your story through photography
On this tour you will be using photography to capture magical moments, artistic flair, and the Provencal way of life. Raina will lead mini-presentations to open your eye and enhance your skills:
Create beautiful digital photographs with your mobile phone and or digital camera
See and understand the use of natural light and shadows to create more depth to your imagery
Take compelling photos of landscapes, people, and more, by learning simple composition rules
Enhance your photos using photo editing apps on your phone and or computer.
Learn simple processing skills to enhance your imagery with lightroom for computer processing and snapseed for processing on your mobile phones
Learn to tell stories through your imagery.
All skill levels are welcome.
You do not need a fancy camera to participate. Mobile cameras are very welcome, in addition to DSLR’s
Provence Lavender Photography Tour Itinerary
Day 1 – Tuesday, July 13
- Pick-up up at Avignon – TGV train station at 10 am (or at your Avignon hotel). We have about a 1 hour drive to our first village, Gordes (classed as one of France’s most beautiful villages). It’s market day and you’ll have your first opportunity to photograph a Provencal way of life.
- Lunch will be at a nearby bistro with a view.
- After lunch, we have a picturesque drive passing through our first lavender fields and also a canyon taking us to High Provence.
- Around 4 pm we’ll settle into our lovely B&B for the next 5 nights. You have free time to rest and swim until we gather poolside for a briefing with Raina who will present the photographic moments for you to capture during the week and how best to prepare for them.
- The evening outing will be in the nearby village (Montbrun-les-Bains) for an evening village photoshoot and dinner.
Day 2 – Wednesday, July 14
- Following your delicious French country breakfast, the journey to wide open lavender fields and authentic Provencal villages begins. We will be out most of the day capturing the fields, Medieval constructions, ancient doors, colorful shutters, and so much more.
- Lunch is a special treat today – the art of French gastronomy reserved for our group in a magical village setting.
- Later afternoon, back at the B&B, refresh at the pool before a mini-workshop with Raina to go over the editing of your pictures.
- We will not venture out again so you have plenty of time to unwind and enjoy a catered dinner at the B&B. This evening is France’s Independence Day (Bastille Day) so we will spice up the evening with a little French celebration.
Day 3 – Thursday, July 15
- Our day will begin in a stunning mountain village, Brantes, where we will meet Brigitte & Odile who will guide us on a foraging walk. We will need some flowers and herbs in order to make our farm-to-table lunch. The whole setting is one photographic moment after another. From the quaint village house where we will make lunch to the table set out on the patio, not to mention all the food prepared with beautiful herbs and flowers.
- Later afternoon will be a time to relax back at the B&B before our sunset photoshoot where the sky and lavender fields meet. Raina will be taking portrait shots of each participant – included in the package tour price. Dinner will be casual yet one to remember – pizza and wine in the lavender field as we capture the setting sun.
Day 4 – Friday, July 16
- Our first village today will be Aurel. A hidden gem with lavender fields all around. There are so many different angles and depths to explore in this village – not to mention capturing it from a distance in the background of a lavender field.
- Next stop is Sault – the lavender capital of Provence and where we will learn more about this aroma plant…how the oils are extracted, how it is harvested, and the different uses. We’ll meet with a lavender grower to get all the answers and see the distilling process first hand!
- Picnic lunch near the distillery then time to stroll through the village Sault. You may also be tempted to stop at the local artisan ice-cream shop :-)
- Rest time back at the B&B to cool off at the pool in or in the shade of a tree.
- Dinner together in the village Montbrun-les-Bains.
- After dinner, you will be taken to the stars and planets. One of the world’s best observatories is located just 20 minutes from our B&B. This unique opportunity will be engraved in your heart forever (activity takes place provided the weather cooperates with us).
Day 5 – Saturday, July 17
- Today is market day in Montbrun-les-Bains. You have time this morning to roam the market at your leisure. Back at the B&B, we’ll have a casual lunch with our market goodies.
- Later afternoon we take off for a lavender field shooting session where the rolling hills meet the sky and the valley. Along the way, we’ll make a stop at a privately owned chateau for a guided tour that will take us back to the time when the powerful lords built their fortresses.
- Farewell dinner back in Montbrun-les-Bains – our base town that will by now sort of feel like home :-)
Day 6 – Sunday, July 18
- The tour has reached its end but not before one last scenic route taking us to the beautiful « laced » mountains (Les Dentelles de Montmirail). We’ll make a stop at a village and winery to admire and photograph this breathtaking wine region.
- Drop-off at Avignon TGV train station at 3 pm.
Meet your hosts…
All about Raina (the essential anyways)
Raina is an American international award winning portrait photographer and has been living in Provence for the past two years. She worked as a registered nurse for 34 hears and decided to take an early retirement to follow her dreams of living in France and pursuing her photography career full-time. Raina is a fun a social person and loves to meet new people from all over the world. She feels quite lucky to be able to live in France.
Raina will be sharing her process of how to tell a unique and powerful story through your travel photography. She will teach you different ways of seeing and shaping light, composition, and how to connect to your environment so that you can create interesting travel images.
Her instruction will deepen your visual awareness while imparting skills that will make your photography more satisfying and fun. As a gift to all participants Raina will be taking a portrait of every participant in the beautiful lavender fields of Provence for you to take home.
To learn more about Raina and to see her gallery of Provencal images…visit her website HERE!
All about Emily (well almost)
Over the years, she has become accustomed to life in France as a local. Her expertise in knowing the region and all it offers is greatly appreciated among foreigners and the French.
Her tours are the perfect balance of seeing the well-known sites, discovering the hidden gems, engaging in the Provencal lifestyle and getting to know the people behind the scenes (the potter, the wine grower, the olive oil producer, the master chef…)
Beyond seeing magical Provence and hearing historical anecdotes, guests can embrace the real essence of travel: letting go of pressures and reconnecting with self. Emily’s philosophy for every tour is creating an atmosphere of fun, leisure and inspiration.
More details about this Provence Lavender Photography Tour Experience:
- Transportation to/from Provence, Avignon
- Cocktails or digestive drinks are not included
- Photography workshop sessions with Raina through the week
- Foraging & Cooking lesson
- Provencal markets (Gordes & Montbrun-les-Bains)
- Lavender distillery tour
- Evening observatory tour to see the stars and galaxies
- 2 villages on the tour (Gordes & Montbrun-les-Bains) are classed as « One of the most beautiful villages of France »
- Guided tours – learn the historical anecdotes that marked the villages and towns.
- And many scenic routes passing through other villages such Ferrassières, Revest-du-Bion, Entrechaux.
- Tour pick-up location: 10 am – Avignon TGV train station (or at your Avignon hotel)
- We highly recommend you come the night before to Avignon for an easy start on the 13th.
- Tour drop-off location: 3 pm – Avignon TGV train station (or in the center of Avignon)
This tour is a wonderful opportunity to see the more rugged and authentic part of Provence (authentic meaning less touristy but with all the elements that make up a Provencal village – remains of remparts, chateaux, medieval influences, fountains, cobblestone, and of course all the Provencal colors splashed on doors and shutters)
Rugged terrain means winding roads. Should you have a tendency to get motion sickness, you should think about a treatment to help.
The tour has been designed to give rest time at the B&B every day. Summers in Provence can be quite hot. The advantage in High Provence is the cooler temperatures – but nevertheless, it can get hot. Please be prepared to sweat a little.
- Arriving in Provence the day before the tour starts is highly recommended. It would be possible to take a 7 am train from Paris and arrive in Avignon for pick-up at 10. However, to make your first day more enjoyable, you may consider arriving the day before.
- Other pick-up locations can be arranged. Some of you may want to arrive by plane at the Marseille airport. Transportation to Avignon to join the tour can be arranged the day before the tour starts ( price supplement).
- Drop-off is at the Avignon TGV at 3pm. You can find a train later afternoon to take you up to Paris or even a train to take you to Nice should you want to visit the French Riviera. You may also want to spend more time in Provence. Arrangements can be made to take you to your next accommodation in the area (possible price supplement depending on distance).
Contact Emily Today to reserve your spot on this unique Provence Lavender Photography Tour:
July 13 - 18, 2021
5 nights/6 days
3,700 USD per person (single room price)