Provence heritage sites tour
Provence Heritage Sites & Lavender Tour - June 18 - 25, 2023
Explore the UNESCO World Heritage Sites
Plunge into the beauty of Lavender
Taste the flavors of Provence
This Tour is designed to immerse you into the historical past of Provence taking you to the most captivating sites for both their cultural heritage and stunning architecture. Along the routes, you’ll plunge into the beauty of lavender in bloom, stroll the markets abundant with local produce and artisan craftsmanship, and taste the exquisite flavors of Provençal cuisine.
Discover the Luberon region where hilltop villages and lavender mingle together creating an array of textures and backdrops. The Alpilles region, around Saint-Remy & Les Baux-de-Provence is also part of the itinerary. The contrasts in nature from these two regions offer a unique Provencal experience - everyday is new to the senses.
Sunday, June 18 – Sunday, June 25, 2023
Tour is full
Inquire for 2024: June 16 - 23
- Tour pick-up location: Sunday 18 at 10:30 am – Avignon TGV train station (or Avignon hotel)
- Tour drop-off location: Sunday 25 around 11 am – Avignon TGV train station
Two charming accommodations for you:
- 4 nights at La Maison de Line in Saint Remy
This B&B is within walking distance to the town center of Saint Remy. You’ll enjoy cooling off in the pool, and lounging in your private courtyard with a glass of rosé. The spacious rooms, studio style, allow you to settle in and feel at home.
- 3 nights at Domaine les Roullets in the Luberon valley
This B&B is an oasis of tranquility and beauty in the Luberon countryside. It’s the perfect place to stay with the lavender in bloom as it’s in the heart of the lower elevation fields.
* 4,000€ EUROS per person based on double occupancy (shared room).
* 850€ EUROS for single room supplement.
* price will be converted to USD dollars 2 months prior to tour
Deposit to secure your spot on the tour:
- $500 USD (non-refundable)
- Should restrictions due to COVID in your home country or in France prohibit the tour from happening your deposit will be applied to the 2024 tour.
Day 1 – Sunday, June 18
- Pick-up at Avignon – TGV train station at 10:30 am (exact time will be coordinated once Emily receives all the arrival times)
- From the train station we’ll drive into the center of Avignon for a historic walking tour. UNESCO sites Pont d’Avignon and Popes Palace.
- A 30-minute drive from Avignon will take us to Saint Remy. Lodging at a charming B&B near the town center for the next 4 nights
- 7:30 pm – Dinner arrangements for the group in Saint Remy
Day 2 – Monday, June 19
- In the morning we’ll drive south to the Camargue region (classified as a Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO) to connect with nature and wildlife. The fresh water from the Rhone and the saline waters from the Mediterranean Sea create a mosaic of ecosystems unique to the area. Flamingoes, herons, white Camargue horses & bulls will accompany us along our off-the-beaten-path routes.
- Lunch in the Camargue region to taste the specialties.
- Later afternoon we will plunge back into the Roman world in Arles and also trace the footsteps of Van Gogh who lived here from 1888 to 1889.
- Dinner together in Saint Remy.
Day 3 – Tuesday, June 20
- Today’s exploring will take us back to the Roman era that was built up starting around the 1st century AD. The Roman aqueduct (Pont-du-Gard) will be our playground this morning. After our picnic lunch we’ll make our way to the village Chateauneuf-du-Pape for a tasting of the renowned wine.
- Later afternoon relaxing time back at the B&B (or venture off into the town on your own for some boutique browsing).
- Dinner together in Saint Remy.
Day 4 – Wednesday, June 21
- Today is market day in Saint Remy. You have a free morning to roam the market and its boutiques.
- Picnic lunch together with your market goodies near the ancient Roman settlement next to Saint Remy. Then we’ll tour the asylum (Saint Paul de Mausole) where Van Gogh stayed for a year after his time in Arles.
- Relaxing time back at the B&B.
- Around 5:30 pm we’ll take off for our evening events. First the multimedia art show at the former rock quarry, Carrières de Lumières. Then an evening stroll through the village Les Baux de Provence.
- The evening meal will be at small village bistro near Les Baux de Provence.
Day 5 – Thursday, June 22
- We’ll be changing regions today and lodging (bags packed).
- Our first stop will be in Isle sur la Sorgue, known for its canal-lined streets and antique shops. There’s a small farmers market today that will add some color to our tour, weaving through antique shops and heritage sites. You’ll have some free time to browse the shops and the market.
- Picnic lunch near the Sorgue River.
- Gordes will be our last village tour before making our way to our B&B to settle and relax (beautiful pool and gardens for your enjoyment).
- Dinner together in the nearby village
Day 6 – Friday, June 23
- Today’s touring will be a remarkable contrast of colors. From violet purple in the lavender fields to the rusty red and musky yellow of the ochre rich lands; you will be dazzled with natural wonder.
- Near Sault (the lavender capital of Provence) we will visit a lavender farm and distillery (also our lunch stop).
- On our way back to the B&B, we’ll stop at Roussillon. Learn why the land is colored red and yellow and all about the industry that flourished up until the 20th century.
- Evening outing for dinner near the B&B
Day 6 – Saturday, June 24
- Learn the tips and tricks of French cuisine during a cooking lesson at a Michelin restaurant in Emily’s hometown. This is a one-of-a-kind cooking experience…cooking with the famous “Cavaillon” melon that you’ll know all about after this week in Provence.
- Later afternoon back at the B&B.
- Farewell evening meal catered at the B&B – a magical evening awaits you!
Day 7 – Sunday, June 25
- After breakfast, you’ll be transferred back to the Avignon TGV train station (around 11 am – please have train departures no earlier than 10:30 am). Other drop-off places can be arranged (supplement may be applied).
Provence Heritage Sites & Lavender Tour
June 18 – 25, 2023
7 nights / 8 days
- *3,870€ Euros per person based on double occupancy (shared room)
- *734€ Euros single room supplement
- *price will be converted to USD dollars in April
- Deposit: $500 USD to secure your spot (non-refundable)
- Balance due by April 15, 2023.
- No refund of paid balance after April 15, 2023.
- COVID restrictions are the only exception
Tags: lavender, private guide, small group tours, Travel Provence, UNESCO World Heritage Sites
Hello! I am interested in your Provence Heritage Sights Tour. I would be traveling solo. If I was able to join the tour would I be able to extend the trip for a few days? Thank you and I look forward to your reply.
Hello Annette, Yes, you can extend your trip. If I am not free I can set you up with another local guide.
Karen J Maley
Hello Emily, I am interested in the 2023 June Provence Heritage Sites Tour. I will be traveling solo. I would like to sign up to reserve this trip. Please let me know how.
I will extend my trip in Paris and arrange my own flight arrangements.
Thank you, Karen
Hello Karen, Yes, I can put you on the list for 2023. I will contact you this summer for official registration. Thank you for your interest in the tour. Very best! Emily
I am interested in this tour should any openings come up please contact me. And I would certainly consider this for 2023. Thank you!
Karen J Maley
Hello Emily, i haven’t heard from you since March. Am still very much interested in the Provence Heritage Site and Lavender Tour in 2023. June 18 – 25. Hoping that this is going forward and I can join this group.
I appreciate your time and response.
Hi Emily I am interested in the 2023 tour. I will be solo and would require sole occupancy of a room.
Great Sophie, I’ll send you a personal message with information on signing up.
My friend Luann and I would like to join the June Lavender Tour, and we would each like our own room. Are openings still available?
Hello Joyce, I have just emailed you more information on the tour.