Truffle & Wine Tour
Truffle & Wine Tour
January 18th – 21st, 2017
Truffle & Wine Tour for a unique and authentic tour in Provence
How does it sound to forget the winter blues and escape to something warm? If you are like me then there is no question to even ask – sign me up! Now, what if I said that you would not be lying on a beach getting a tan? Do I still have your attention? I hope so, because this winter tour is a chance to explore fine food, outstanding wines, exotic truffles and cozy winter fires.
Imagine yourself in a 12th century priory that has been converted to an elegant B&B at the foot of the Mount Ventoux in Provence. There you are sitting in the chapel room that serves as the dining room with Chateauneuf-du-Pape wine laid on the table. The logs on the fire are crackling and your host has just entered the room to present her signature Provencal winter dish.
Imagine too you are discovering the countryside in winter fashion; your favorite winter hat and newfound scarf. You are warming your hands up with French pressed coffee or roasted chestnuts at the market. The temperature will be about 10° and the sun, even in winter, never stays away for long. While I cannot guarantee perfect winter weather I can say the last two Truffle & Wine tours provided us with some moments to catch the rays (see picture of me in the courtyard of the truffle grower’s house below – and yes, even Champagne has a way of warming you up!). And should it be that one weekend a year when it snows in Provence, well, what a perfect ambience to make it feel like Christmas again (do bring your boots for the Luberon truffle day).
This 3 night, 4 day Truffle & Wine tour in Provence is an opportunity to see the culinary world of Provence, taste the delights of truffles at the best time of the year, discover new wines while meeting the wine growers and enjoy the cultural heritage of Provence during the less touristy season. You will leave the tour feeling like experienced Provence like a local. A rare treat that will forever be a part of your heart.
You will stay 3 nights at La Madelene. A 12th century priory that has been elegantly transformed into a B&B with lots of Provencal charm. Your hosts, Philip and Jude will delight you with cultural experiences that you have never ventured before.
Highlights of the Truffle & Wine Tour
- Truffle hunting with a professional & his dog in the remote hills of the Luberon
- Truffle based meals at B&B, one local restaurant and at the table of the truffle hunter in the Luberon
- Visit to the Richerenches truffle market to see the pros in action and tour the Medieval village on market day
- Truffle dishes/Wine pairing at La Madelene
- Top winery visits & tastings with the wine makers
- 3 nights lodging in elegant B&B at the foot of the Mount Ventoux surrounded by vineyards and orchards
- 3 gourmet dinners themed around truffles with fine wines from the region
- 1 champagne & hors d’oeuvre greeting on day 1
- 2 delicious lunches (one at a local wine maker’s house who is also a superb chef & one lunch at the home of the truffle hunter’s house after our truffle hunt)
- 3 energizing breakfasts
- Transportation while in Provence to all excursions on itinerary (transportation to/from the B&B The Madelene is not included)
- Transportation to/from Provence
- Transportation to/from the B&B and the train station/airport
- Lunch on the last day of tour finishing after the morning market in Richerenches
"The most learned men have been questioned as to the nature of this tuber, and after two thousand years of argument and discussion their answer is the same as it was on the first day: we do not know. The truffles themselves have been interrogated, and have answered simply: eat us and praise the Lord." — Alexandre Dumas
- Arrival at the B&B Le Madelene between 4 and 6 pm
- Champagne reception with Provencal aperitifs around 7pm
- 4 course dinner with fine Rhone wines from the owner’s extensive wine cellar
- Dinner together in the Chapel dining room with log fire
- Accommodations in one of the spacious and elegant rooms
Day 2 – Thursday, January 19th
- After a leisurely breakfast, we will take a back country road to a remote part of the Luberon to meet Nicolas, our local professional truffle farmer. The “hands on” hunt is preceded by a light talk (in English) from the truffle hunter on the history of truffle farming in the area, the technique for hunting and importantly what to look for in a top grade truffle and how best to prepare them.
- Aperitif in the sunny courtyard and lunch ( superb truffled eggs/salad/dessert) prepared by the Truffle farmer and his wife at their magnificent Mas (Provencal farm house).
- Afternoon visit to a couple of small, authentic Luberon villages before going to Chateau Canorgue for our Luberon wine tasting (Chateau Canorgue was used as the setting for Ridely Scott’s “A Good Year” movie.
- Evening truffle themed dinner at Fleur Bleu, Crestet – the restaurant atmosphere with fire place and wood tables is especially quaint.
Day 3 – Friday, January 20th
- On day three of our truffle and wine tour tasting day, we visit three different top notch Southern Rhone wineries across the day.
- we start in the village of Gigondas with a tasting at Chateau Saint Cosme the oldest producing estate in the appellation + a visit to their unique cellars with their Roman stone fermentation cuves
- On to Clos du Caveau at Vacqueyras where our visit is hosted by owner/winemaker Henri Bungener, a personal friend, who after showing us around the winery will serve a 5 course lunch for us! Henri is a noted amateur chef as well as a first rate wine maker – a great opportunity for guests to chat informally with a noted wine maker over a meal.
- In the afternoon we visit the medieval village of Seguret one of France’s “plus belles villages” before taking our apero hour tasting at Domaine de Mourchon high on the hill above the village.
- Evening dinner at La Madelene, another delicious Provencal meal accompanied by fine wines from Philip’s cellar.
Day 4 – Saturday, January 21st
- Morning visit to world famous Richerenches truffle market in the unique territory known as the “Enclave des Papes” in the Vaucluse – opportunity for guests to select (with their new found knowledge!) quality truffles and purchase to take home.
- The tour finishes with this visit or you can have your tour continue with Emily to visit the charming and historical rich towns of Avignon and Arles – Contact Emily for more information on how you can extend your Truffle & Wine Tour in Provence.