Provence Lavender & Cultural Tour
June 21 – June 25, 2018
4 nights, 5 days
Price $1,995 per person / $480 single room supplement
Tour Provence with a perfect mix of
culture and lavender
Enjoy touring through Provence lavender before the crowds of summer swarm in and when the lavender begins to share its magical hues and scents. This tour offers many cultural elements to dig deeper into the historical elements that founded the land as well as stunning beauty with the lower elevation lavender in bloom.
Your Private Provence keeps groups small (7 max) to ensure relaxed, intimate and personalized touring.
Thursday, June 21
Pick-up will be at 10:30 am at the Avignon TGV train station. From the train station, we’ll drive 30 minutes to Saint Remy de Provence to explore two of Provence’s most intriguing historical elements: the Roman era and the time Van Gogh lived in Provence. After enjoying lunch together in the quaint town of Saint Remy, you can stroll through the town for some boutique shopping and photography.
Transfer to our 4-star hotel in L’Isle sur la Sorgue around 3 pm with relaxing time in the garden or at a nearby café until we meet up again for our dinner outing in the heart of L’Isle sur la Sorgue.
The day will start at a small farmer’s market in Bonnieux where we will meet our chef to pick out the produce for our cooking lesson. You’ll have some time to explore the village and also a Roman-built bridge before arriving at the chef’s house. Our drive will entail a few lavender fields for your delight as well.
Together we’ll be learning about Mediterranean cuisine and how to enhance natural flavors in simple ways. Lunch enjoyed together at the chef’s house in her beautiful garden.
In the afternoon we will take a scenic lavender drive in the Luberon and stop in Roussillon to explore the ochre of Provence. Dinner will be on your own in L’Isle sur la Sorgue (the hotel is in the heart of the town so easy access by foot to all restaurants at your leisure).
The core of Provence and its culture has always been centered around wine. You will be treated to an exceptional wine tasting experience in Chateauneuf-du-Pape that will teach you about the land, the history and the art of tasting wine as a sensory exploration. Lunch together at a restaurant with a view in the village of Chateauneuf-du-Pape.
Before returning to the B&B for our last evening together, we’ll head north about 15 minutes to Orange for a tour of the majestic Roman Antique Theatre.
Dinner together this evening in L’Isle sur la Sorgue at another one of your guide’s favorite restaurants.
Perhaps you have heard about the market in L’Isle sur la Sorgue – famous for its year-round antique boutique shops, its Sunday flea market and typical Provencal market. You will have the morning to stroll through the market at your leisure.
Lunch will be in Fontaine-de-Vaucluse before our walk to the ancient water source that still inspires people today by its beauty and mystery. Then, over the canyon we’ll drive, to stumble upon two of Provence’s most famous emblems: The Abbey de Senanque and Gordes.
Return to the B&B around 6 pm with free time until we meet for our group dinner reservation in the heart of L’Isle sur la Sorgue.
Today is the end of your Provence Lavender & Cultural Tour but before we part our different ways, we’ll visit the Abbey Saint André on the other side of the Rhone river from Avignon.
From here you have the quietness of the gardens to view the outstanding Popes Palace. Historical elements about the land of the Popes and the French Kingdom, not to mention the Pont d’Avignon will be contemplated from this haven of peace. Picnic lunch in the gardens before our departure to the Avignon TGV train station (drop-off at 2:30 pm).
- Lavender pictures at Saint Paul de Mausole (Van Gogh’s psychiatric stay in Saint Remy), in the Luberon region and at the Abbey de Senanque
- Mediterranean Cooking lesson at chef’s house
- Wine tasting in Chateauneuf-du-Pape with local wine expert
- Gourmet meals at your guide’s favorite restaurants
- A perfect mix of historical discoveries and natural beauty of the countryside
- 4-star hotel with direct access by foot to the town of L’Isle sur la Sorgue
- Provencal & antique market in L’Isle sur la Sorgue
Tour Price Includes:
- All transportation from pick-up at Avignon TGV to drop-off at Avignon TGV
- Your personal guide and driver
- 4 nights lodging at 4-star hotel (superior room at Grand Hotel Henri)
- 4 breakfasts/ 4 lunches / 3 dinners (1 dinner on your own in Isle sur la Sorgue)
- Cooking lesson followed by lunch
- Wine tasting workshop in Chateauneuf-du-Pape
- Entrance into Orange Antique Theatre & Abbey Saint André
Tour Price Does NOT Include:
- Transportation from Marseille airport should you arrive by plane
- Transportation to/from France (Avignon)
- 1 dinner on your own in L’Isle sur la Sorgue
- Drinks at meals (soft drinks, aperitifs & *”extra” wine at meals are at your charge)
*please note that a glass of wine is included in your package price. Should you decide to order more wine (or other drinks), this is at your charge directly with the restaurant.
To further your experience in Provence
Your Private Provence suggests arriving in France before day 1 of the tour. Why not stay a couple nights in Paris and then take the TGV fast train from Paris to Avignon to arrive by 10:30 am. Or come to Avignon and stay a night or two before pickup on the group tour. If staying in Avignon before or after the tour, I suggest staying at Le Cloitre Saint Louis or Grand Hotel Avignon – pickup/drop-off can be arranged at these hotels.